Monday, April 29, 2013

My Testimony:
Sunday April 28, 2013 I was baptized at South Ridge Community Church in Clinton, New Jersey. As I stepped into the water under the cross, my faith that I wrote was read for the entire church community to hear. Very close friends of mine and one student from where I teach stood up and shared such kind words and verses for me. I truly am a child of God who has been blessed in more ways that I can even imagine! I wanted to share my story with everyone who takes the time to read my blog <3

Amen


I was raised in a very loving home. My family supported me no matter what I was doing or what I was going through. I grew up going to church every Sunday but a personal faith was not a part of my life.
  
My road here has been a difficult one. I fell down so many times and He was right there to pick me up, even though I would not say His name. My first semester of college I suffered with severe depression and panic attacks. After coming home, I attended the University of Delaware the following year where I was able to succeed in both cheerleading and academics.  


When I was married in 2004 there were no references to God in our wedding ceremony.  I did not give this decision a second thought. My life seemed fine, why did I need Him?  

A few years later I experienced serious health issues. There were many months with no answers and I ultimately needed three surgeries. In retrospect, I see that those months of struggle were necessary to uncover an even bigger challenge in my life. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder which had become all-consuming.  I felt so alone. Through the support of family and a caring doctor I became determined to beat the illness, but still, I did not look to God.

A few months down the road to recovery, more obstacles came.  My husband and I separated. I was so lost. I sought church support, but it confused me even more with the guilt and shame of divorce.  I left the service in tears.

In April 2011, I was able to aid a student that suffered from sudden cardiac arrest.  I had a strong sense that God placed me there with her for a reason.  This was a turning point for me.   

I began attending Divorce Care and church at South Ridge Community Church in Clinton, New Jersey regularly. I was once again overwhelmed with tears, but this time they were different. This time I was opening my heart and listening to what God had been trying to tell me for many years. I was His daughter, and He was going to take care of me.

I wanted to learn more.  I began regularly seeking resources and relationships that could help answer the questions.  Things were starting to change for me. I was accepting God and the plans He had for me. Looking back now, He was always there even though I kept on ignoring Him.

I am so blessed today and I want to let everyone know how wonderful our God is. I am part of a fantastic Women's Bible study here at SRCC, still asking questions and growing my faith.  I also  began a blog I called "Faith, Food and Fitness--My Journey", volunteering with a nonprofit Christian health and wellness organization called FINDINGbalance and began a journey as a health and fitness coach.
God loves me and has an awesome plan for me! I can't wait to see what it is!
Saved by grace through faith....

No comments:

Post a Comment